MIACALCIN INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Calcitonin-salmon 200 IU/mL; soln for SC or IM inj.
Indications for MIACALCIN INJECTION:
Paget's disease of bone. Hypercalcemia. Postmenopausal osteoporosis in women >5yrs postmenopausal.
Give by IM inj across multiple sites if total dose >2mL. Paget's: 100 IU SC or IM daily. Hypercalcemia: initially 4 IU/kg SC or IM every 12hrs, may increase after 1–2 days to 8 IU/kg every 12hrs, and then after 2 more days to max 8 IU/kg every 6hrs. Postmenopausal osteoporosis: 100 IU SC or IM daily.
Correct hypocalcemia and other mineral metabolism disorders before initiating; monitor serum calcium and hypocalcemia symptoms during therapy. Increased risk of malignancies. Consider periodic exams of urine sediment; serum alkaline phosphatase and urinary hydroxyproline in Paget's. Postmenopausal osteoporosis: supplement diet with calcium 1g/day and Vit.D 400 IU/day. Re-evaluate periodically. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
May antagonize lithium (consider lithium dose adjustment).
Nausea, vomiting, local inflammation, flushing, rash; hypersensitivity reactions, anaphylaxis, hypocalcemia, antibody formation.
Multi-dose vials (2mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Characteristics of Unipolar Mania, Distinct from Bipolar Disorder, Described
- Aspirin, N-Acetylcysteine Effective Adjunctive Treatments in Bipolar Depression
- Subthreshold Pediatric Bipolar Disorder Is a Significant Psychiatric Burden
- Interview-Only Version of Yale-Brown Obsessive-Compulsive Scale Effective for OCD Monitoring in Youth
- Potential Biomarker Differentiates Between Bipolar Disorder With, Without Psychosis
- Part 1: Adolescent Tech Use and Mental Health: Expert Roundtable
- Challenging Stigma: Should Psychiatrists Disclose Their Own Mental Illness?
- Social Anxiety in Schizophrenia: An Overlooked Problem
- Inflammation: Is It the Link Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Depression?
- Childhood Physical Violence Associated With Decreased Total Cholesterol
- How the Government Shutdown Affects FDA Activities
- The Robot Will See You Now: The Increasing Role of Robotics in Psychiatric Care
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Improves Psychiatric Disorders During Addiction Therapy
- Infections, Antibiotics Associated With Subsequent Increased Risk for Mental Disorders in Youth