Generic Name and Formulations:
Mexiletine HCl 150mg, 200mg, 250mg; caps.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Mexiletine:
Documented life-threatening ventricular arrhythmias.
Take with food or antacid. Initially 200mg every 8hrs. Adjust dose if needed at not less than 2–3 day intervals in 50–100mg increments. Usual dose: 200–300mg every 8hrs; max 1.2g/day. If arrhythmia is controlled by ≤300mg every 8hrs, may try dividing same daily dose every 12hrs; max 450mg every 12hrs. See literature for information on rapid induction and changing from other antiarrhythmics.
Cardiogenic shock. 2nd- or 3rd- degree AV block unless paced.
Hepatic impairment. Severe heart failure. Sinus node dysfunction or intraventricular conduction defects. Hypotension. Epilepsy. Monitor ECG, blood and liver function. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Class IB antiarrhythmic.
May potentiate other antiarrhythmics, theophylline. Monitor control if used with hepatic enzyme-inducing drugs. Avoid drugs or diets that alter urinary pH.
GI upset, dizziness, tremor, nervousness, ataxia, chest pain, blurred vision, exacerbated arrhythmias, hepatotoxicity.
Formerly known under the brand name Mexitil.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Tolerability of Novel Long-Acting Injectable Aripiprazole Tested for Bipolar Disorder
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Intracranial Volume in Schizophrenia
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad