Generic Name and Formulations:
Methyl aminolevulinate 16.8%; crm.
Galderma Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for METVIXIA:
For treatment of thin and moderately thick, non-hyperkeratotic, non-pigmented actinic keratoses of the face and scalp in immunocompetent patients, in combination with Aktilite CL128 lamp red light illumination.
See literature. Surface of lesion should be prepared before applying. Use nitrile gloves. Apply a layer of cream about 1mm thick to lesion and surrounding 5mm of normal skin. Do not apply more than 1g (half tube) per treatment session. Cover area with occlusive, non-absorbent dressing for 3 hours. Multiple lesions may be treated during the same session. Remove occlusive dressing and clean area with saline and gauze. Position Aktilite CL128 lamp. Required illumination time: 7–10 minutes. Keep area covered and away from light for at least 48 hours after. Two treatment sessions one week apart should be administered. Assess lesion response 3 months after the last treatment session.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Cutaneous photosensitivity. Porphyrin, peanut, or almond oil allergy.
Do not apply to eyes, mucous membranes. Avoid exposure to sunlight or bright indoor light during the period prior to Aktilite red light treatment. If red light treatment cannot be administered, remove cream and protect skin from sunlight or intense light for two days. Coagulation defects. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Additive photosensitivity possible with concomitant photosensitizing agents.
Erythema, pain, burning and discomfort, pruritus, scabbing, crusting and erosions, edema and exfoliation of skin.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Tolerability of Novel Long-Acting Injectable Aripiprazole Tested for Bipolar Disorder
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Intracranial Volume in Schizophrenia
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad