Generic Name and Formulations:
Methyldopa 125mg, 250mg, 500mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Methyldopa:
Initially 250mg 2–3 times daily; titrate at intervals of at least 2 days. Concomitant antihypertensives other than thiazides: initial max 500mg/day. Maintenance: 500mg–2g/day in 2–4 divided doses; max 3g/day.
Initially 10mg/kg per day in 2–4 divided doses; max 65mg/kg or 3g daily (whichever is less).
Active hepatic disease. History of methyldopa-associated liver dysfunction. Concomitant MAOIs.
Hepatic or renal dysfunction. Pheochromocytoma. Severe cerebrovascular disease. Monitor blood and liver function. Discontinue if fever, jaundice, liver dysfunction, worsening edema or heart failure occurs. Surgery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Central alpha agonist.
MAOIs: see Contraindications. Antagonized by oral iron preps: not recommended. May potentiate antihypertensives, general anesthetics, lithium. May interfere with lab tests.
Sedation, headache, asthenia, orthostatic hypotension, bradycardia, edema, GI upset, rash, nasal congestion, arthralgia, amenorrhea, hyperprolactinemia, gynecomastia, pancreatitis, impotence, decreased libido, CNS effects, eosinophilia, liver dysfunction, jaundice, (+) Coombs test, hemolytic anemia; rarely: fatal hepatic necrosis, blood dyscrasias.
Formerly known under the brand name Aldomet.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents