Generic Name and Formulations:
Methylergonovine maleate 0.2mg; tabs.
Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for METHERGINE:
Following delivery of the placenta, for routine management of uterine atony, hemorrhage, and subinvolution of the uterus. For control of uterine hemorrhage in the second stage of labor following delivery of the anterior shoulder.
0.2mg 3–4 times a day in the puerperium for max 1 week.
Hypertension. Toxemia. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Avoid intra-arterial, periarterial injection. Coronary artery disease or risk factors; may be more susceptible to developing MI and infarction associated with methylergonovine-induced vasospasm. Sepsis. Obliterative vascular disease. Hepatic or renal disease. 2nd stage of labor. Nursing mothers: not recommended (wait at least 12hrs after last dose before initiating or resuming feeding).
Potentiated by vasoconstrictors, other ergot alkaloids, prostaglandins, beta-blockers. Potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, macrolides, protease inhibitors, reverse transcriptase inhibitors, azole antifungals): not recommended. Use caution with less potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, saquinavir, nefazodone, fluconazole, grapefruit juice, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, zileuton, clotrimazole). Antagonized by strong inducers of CYP3A4 (eg, nevirapine, rifampicin), anesthetics (eg, halothane, methoxyflurane). Antagonizes glyceryl trinitrate, other antianginal drugs.
Hypertension associated with seizure and/or headache, hypotension, abdominal pain, GI upset; rare: cardiovascular effects (eg, vasoconstriction, acute MI, transient chest pains).
Tabs—7, 12, 28, 100; Inj (1mL amps)—20
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders