Generic Name and Formulations:
Mesna 400mg; tabs.
Indications for MESNEX:
Prophylactic agent in reducing the incidence of ifosfamide-induced hemorrhagic cystitis.
See literature. IV Schedule: Give as IV bolus injection in a dosage equal to 20% of the ifosfamide dose at the time of ifosfamide administration and 4 and 8 hours after each dose of ifosfamide; total daily dose is 60% the ifosfamide dose. IV and oral dosing: Give as IV bolus injection in a dosage equal to 20% of the ifosfamide dose at the time of ifosfamide administration, followed by the tablets given orally in a dosage equal to 40% of the ifosfamide dose 2 and 6 hours after each dose of ifosfamide; total daily dose is 100% of the ifosfamide dose. Repeat schedule on each day ifosfamide is given. If vomiting occurs within 2hrs of oral mesna, repeat dose or give IV mesna.
Hypersensitivity to thiol compounds.
Monitor morning specimen of urine for the presence of hematuria each day prior to ifosfamide therapy; consider dose reduction or discontinue if hematuria occurs. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
GI upset, fever, anorexia, flatulence, constipation, rhinitis, rigors, back pain, rash, conjunctivitis, arthralgia, headache, inj site reactions, flushing, dizziness, pharyngitis, hyperaesthesia, flu-like symptoms, coughing; hypersensitivity reactions.
Patients taking mesna should drink at least a quart of liquid a day.
Tabs—10; Multidose vials—1, 10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling