Generic Name and Formulations:
Mercaptopurine (6-MP) 50mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Mercaptopurine:
Maintenance therapy of acute lymphatic leukemia as part of a combination regimen.
Adults and Children:
Individualize. Usual range: 1.5–2.5mg/kg/day as a single dose. Concomitant allopurinol: reduce mercaptopurine to ⅓–¼ of the usual dose. TPMT- or NUDT15-deficient, renal or hepatic impairment: reduce dose (see full labeling).
Prior resistance to mercaptopurine.
Not effective in CNS leukemia, acute myelogenous leukemia, chronic lymphocytic leukemia, the lymphomas (including Hodgkin's disease), or solid tumors. Myelosuppression; monitor CBCs weekly and adjust dose for severe cytopenias. Consider testing for TPMT and NUDT15 deficiency in patients who experience severe bone marrow toxicities or repeated myelosuppression. Monitor serum transaminase, alkaline phosphatase, and bilirubin levels at weekly intervals when starting therapy, then monthly thereafter; interrupt treatment if evidence of hepatotoxicity occurs. Concomitant other hepatotoxic drugs or with pre-existing liver disease; monitor LFTs more frequently. Immunosuppression. Inflammatory bowel disease. Renal or hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat. D; esp. 1st trimester), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased risk of bone marrow suppression with allopurinol, aminosalicylate derivatives (eg, olsalazine, mesalazine, sulphasalazine), trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole. May antagonize warfarin. Caution with concomitant hepatotoxic agents.
Myelosuppression, hyperuricemia/hyperuricosuria, GI upset, intestinal ulceration, rash, hyperpigmentation, alopecia, oligospermia; hepatotoxicity, infection, immunosuppression.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Distinct Characteristics in Children at Risk for Schizophrenia vs Bipolar Disorder
- Nonstimulants May Be an Appropriate Alternative to Stimulants for Treating ADHD
- Psychotic Experiences Associated With Increased Risk for Eating Disorders in Adolescents
- Novel Parent-Child Interaction Therapy Targets Preschool-Aged Depression
- Remission of Treatment-Resistant Depression in Veterans Depends on Close Clinical Observation
- Medical Clearance of Psych Patients in the ED: Consensus Recommendations
- From Abused Child to Serial Killer: Investigating Nature vs Nurture in Methods of Murder
- Managing Comorbid Migraine and Mood Disorders: A Synergistic Approach
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Effective in Reducing Suicide Attempts, Self-Harm in Adolescents
- Should Physicians Treat Family and Friends? Three Experts Weigh In
- Effect of Long-Term Lisdexamfetamine Dimesylate for Major Depressive Disorder
- 5-Factor Brief Negative Symptom Scale Validation in Schizophrenia
- Do the Deceased Have Rights to Autonomy? An Ethical Examination of Posthumous Conception
- Mothers' Healthy Lifestyle Tied to Drop in Offspring Obesity
- Parental Incarceration Linked to Unhealthy Behaviors in Teens