Generic Name and Formulations:
Atovaquone 750mg/5mL; oral susp; citrus flavor.
Indications for MEPRON:
Treatment of mild-to-moderate Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia (PCP) in patients intolerant to trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (TMP/SMX). Prevention of PCP in patients intolerant to TMP/SMX.
Limitations Of use:
Treatment of more severe PCP has not been studied. Mepron's efficacy has not been studied in those who are failing therapy with TMP/SMX.
Take with food. ≥13yrs: Treatment: 750mg twice daily for 21 days. Prophylaxis: 1500mg once daily.
<13yrs: not established.
GI disorders or inability to take with food. Monitor in severe hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant rifampin or rifabutin: not recommended. Antagonized by tetracycline; caution and monitor if use is needed. May be antagonized by metoclopramide (use only if other antiemetics are not available). Antagonizes indinavir; caution and monitor if use is needed.
Diarrhea, rash, headache, nausea, fever, rhinitis, vomiting, sweating, flu syndrome, sinusitis, pruritus, insomnia, depression, myalgia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders