Generic Name and Formulations:
Atovaquone 750mg/5mL; oral susp; citrus flavor.
Indications for MEPRON:
Treatment of mild-to-moderate Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia (PCP) in patients intolerant to trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (TMP/SMX). Prevention of PCP in patients intolerant to TMP/SMX.
Limitations Of use:
Treatment of more severe PCP has not been studied. Mepron's efficacy has not been studied in those who are failing therapy with TMP/SMX.
Take with food. ≥13yrs: Treatment: 750mg twice daily for 21 days. Prophylaxis: 1500mg once daily.
<13yrs: not established.
GI disorders or inability to take with food. Monitor in severe hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant rifampin or rifabutin: not recommended. Antagonized by tetracycline; caution and monitor if use is needed. May be antagonized by metoclopramide (use only if other antiemetics are not available). Antagonizes indinavir; caution and monitor if use is needed.
Diarrhea, rash, headache, nausea, fever, rhinitis, vomiting, sweating, flu syndrome, sinusitis, pruritus, insomnia, depression, myalgia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Short Forms of Parent General Behavior Inventory Reliable at Identifying Youth Mood Symptoms
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents
- Strong Social Networks May Mitigate the Effects of Childhood Adversity
- Unexpected Effect of Substance Use Disorders on Recovery From Bipolar Depression
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Opioid Use Disorder Prevalence at Delivery on the Rise in the US, According to CDC
- Integrating Treatments for Opioid Use Disorder and Infectious Diseases