MAXITROL OPH OINT Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Neomycin 3.5mg, polymyxin B sulfate 10000Units/g, dexamethasone 0.1%.
Alcon Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for MAXITROL OPH OINT:
Ocular inflammation associated with infection.
Small amount of ointment 3–4 times daily. Ointment may be used adjunctively with drops at bedtime. Then prolong dosing interval as condition improves; max 8g per therapeutic course.
Fungal, viral, or mycobacterial infections of the cornea and conjunctiva. Hypersensitivity to corticosteroids.
Not for injection. Corneal or scleral thinning. Glaucoma. Monitor for secondary infections and intraocular pressure in prolonged use. Aminoglycoside cross-sensitivity; discontinue if hypersensitivity develops. May mask signs of acute purulent or parasitic infection. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Antibiotics + steroid.
Allergic sensitization, increased intraocular pressure, cataracts, corneal perforation, optic nerve damage, visual defects, delayed wound healing, bleb formation, allergic dermatitis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders