Generic Name and Formulations:
Rizatriptan (as benzoate) 5mg, 10mg; tabs.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for MAXALT:
Acute treatment of migraine.
≥18yrs: Initially 5 or 10mg; may repeat after 2 hrs; max 30mg/day. Concomitant propranolol: use 5mg dose; max 3 doses/day. The safety of treating, on average, more than 4 headaches in a 30-day period has not been established.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Ischemic heart disease (eg, angina pectoris, history of MI, documented silent ischemia). Coronary artery vasospasm (eg, Prinzmetal's angina). Uncontrolled hypertension. Other significant cardiovascular disease. Basilar or hemiplegic migraine. Within 24 hours of other 5-HT1 agonists or ergot-type drugs. During or within 2 weeks after discontinuing MAOIs.
Confirm diagnosis. Reevaluate if angina or ischemia symptoms (eg, ischemic bowel syndrome) occur, or if no response after 1st dose. Exclude underlying cardiovascular disease, supervise 1st dose, and consider monitoring ECG in patients with likelihood of unrecognized coronary disease (eg, post-menopausal women, men over age 40, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, obesity, diabetes, smokers, strong family history). Monitor cardiovascular function in long-term intermittent use. Peripheral vascular or colonic ischemia following other 5-HT1 agonists. Hepatic dysfunction. Dialysis. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Selective 5-HT1B/1D receptor agonist.
MAOIs, methysergide, other ergotamines, or other 5-HT1 agonists: see Contraindications. Caution with SSRIs. Exposure increased by propranolol.
Asthenia, somnolence, dizziness, paresthesia, chest/jaw/throat pressure or other pain, dry mouth, nausea, headache; serious cardiac events (rare).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Tolerability of Novel Long-Acting Injectable Aripiprazole Tested for Bipolar Disorder
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Intracranial Volume in Schizophrenia
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad