Major Depressive Disorder
In both studies, the primary efficacy endpoint was change from baseline to Day 28 in Montgomery-Åsberg Depression Rating Scale (MADRS) total score.
Bupropion had a greater effect on reducing impulsivity and attention symptoms than escitalopram.
Findings from a cohort study suggest that ECT is not associated with increased risk for dementia, even in the elderly.
Investigators sought to identify distinct pathways toward suicidal behaviors in older adults with major depression.
Child maltreatment is significantly more prevalent in young individuals who present with UHR symptoms compared with controls.
Patients with MDD who initially respond to antidepressant medications have a 30% to 50% chance of relapse within a year of initiating treatment.
This study included Medicaid patients taking medications to treat bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, or major depression with psychosis.
There is no evidence that protecting women's mental health concerns should restrict abortion access.
Elevated cytokine levels could help to identify children who are unlikely to respond to treatment with fluoxetine.
Greater age-related decreases in volume of the putamen were observed in participants diagnosed with major depressive disorder compared with those of healthy controls.
Individuals suffering from depression, as well as persons diagnosed with temporal lobe epilepsy, present with dysfunction across several cognitive domains.
Cigarette smoking prevalence among persons with severe mental illness is approximately 3 times greater than the rate observed in the general population.
It has been reported previously that symptoms of depression are associated with nonadherence to diabetes self-care.
The strongest predictor of depression in patients with chronic stable angina was an episode of depression within the past 10 years.
Depression symptoms at baseline correlated with increased mortality among participants with early- but not late-stage disease.
Until now, the majority of postmortem research that has examined functionally related gene sets has been limited to a single disorder or region of the brain.
Pupillary reactivity to emotional stimuli has been investigated to provide objective information about the risk for recurrence of depressive symptoms in women.
Dr. Roger McIntyre suggests that the clinical relevance of cognitive dysfunction for any individual patient can only be adjudicated on a case-by-case basis.
It is hypothesized that multiple single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) work together to influence risk of complex neuropsychiatric disorders such as depression.
Genetic variation can increase the predisposition to major depressive disorder.
Atrophy of numerous structures within the central nervous system has been observed in persons suffering from depression.
The First Baby Study at Penn State College of Medicine includes more than 3 000 women in Pennsylvania having their first baby.
Understanding distinct patterns of comorbid substance use may be more relevant to prevention and treatment than focusing on one individual substance.
Individuals diagnosed with melancholic major depressive disorder presented with more severe symptoms of depression compared with persons with non-melancholic depression.
Sustained anterior cingulate cortex activation during rewarding events predicted better treatment response to Behavioral Activation Treatment for Depression.
Risk highest among patients with psych symptoms pre-ICU/psych distress symptoms while in ICU
Psychosocial and Demographic Predictors of Depression Among Individuals With Bipolar Disorder and SchizophreniaAugust 15, 2016
Bipolar disorder and schizophrenia are characterized by significant genetic overlap, as well as significant clinical presentation overlap.
Grandchildren with both a depressed parent and depressed grandparent were at highest risk for MDD.
The accuracy of the PHQ-2 in identifying major depression is lower than originally thought.
Bipolar disorder (BD) is typically characterized by recurrent episodes of mania and depression, but the connection between BD and anxiety needs to be considered.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Childhood-Onset Bipolar Disorder Associated With Impaired Family Functioning
- Valproate Use in Women Who Could Become Pregnant: The Argument for Informed Consent
- Hospitalization Rates in Schizophrenia—Lurasidone vs Quetiapine
- Ketamine-Induced Dissociative Symptoms Predict Antidepressant Response
- Review Examines the Effectiveness of Antidepressants for Insomnia
- Video Games and Exercise as Alternative Therapies for ADHD
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- Comorbid Autism Spectrum Disorder and OCD: Challenges in Diagnosis and Treatment
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- Consensus Statement: Managing Bipolar Disorder During and After Pregnancy
- Verbal Memory Linked to Temporal Lobe Thickness in First-Degree Relatives of Those With Schizophrenia
- Associations Between Maternal Depression, Support, and Cognitive Development in Offspring
- Medical Marijuana Users More Likely to Use Prescription Drugs for Medical, Nonmedical Purposes
- Effects of the 2 Types of Anorexia Nervosa on Bone Metabolism