Magnesium Sulfate Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Magnesium sulfate 500mg/mL; soln for IM inj; or IV use after dilution; contains aluminum.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Magnesium Sulfate Injection:
Mild deficiency: 1g IM every 6 hours for four doses. Severe deficiency: 250mg/kg IM within a period of 4 hours if necessary; alternatively 5g may be added to one liter of 5% dextrose inj or 0.9% sodium chloride inj for slow IV infusion over a 3-hour period. TPN: usual range: 1–3g (8–24mEq) daily. Severe renal impairment: max 20g in 48 hours.
TPN for infants: usual range: 0.25–1.25g (2–10mEq) daily.
Heart block. Myocardial damage.
Renal impairment. Monitor serum magnesium levels; if repeated doses are given, test knee jerk reflexes before each dose. Have injectable calcium salt readily available to counteract magnesium intoxication. Elderly. Premature neonates. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers.
Additive CNS depressant effects with barbiturates, narcotics, other hypnotics; adjust dose. Potentiates neuromuscular blocking agents. Concomitant cardiac glycosides; use extreme caution, heart block may occur.
Magnesium intoxication (eg, flushing, sweating, hypotension, depressed reflexes, flaccid paralysis, hypothermia, circulatory collapse, cardiac and CNS depression proceeding to respiratory paralysis.
Formerly known under the brand name Sulfamag.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation