Generic Name and Formulations:
Pegaptanib sodium 0.3mg/prefilled syringe; soln for oph intravitreous inj; preservative-free.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for MACUGEN:
Treatment of neovascular (wet) age-related macular degeneration.
Give by intravitreous inj. 0.3mg once every 6 weeks into the eye to be treated.
Ocular or periocular infections.
Monitor for infection during week following inj (endophthalmitis possible). Monitor intraocular pressure and perfusion of optic nerve. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) inhibitor.
Anterior chamber inflammation, blurred vision, cataract, conjunctival hemorrhage, corneal edema, eye discharge, eye irritation, eye pain, hypertension, increased intraocular pressure, ocular discomfort, punctate keratitis, reduced visual acuity, visual disturbances, vitreous floaters, vitreous opacities, blepharitis, conjunctivitis, photopsia, bronchitis, diarrhea, dizziness, headache, nausea, UTI, others.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders