Generic Name and Formulations:
Voretigene neparvovec-rzyl 5x1012 vector genomes (vg); per mL; susp for subretinal inj after dilution; preservative-free.
Spark Therapeutics, Inc.
Indications for LUXTURNA:
Treatment of biallelic RPE65 mutation-associated retinal dystrophy.
Adults and Children:
Must have viable retinal cells as determined by physician. Give as subretinal inj. <12mos: not recommended. ≥12mos: 1.5x1011 vg (total 0.3mL) for each eye; separate injs to each eye by ≥6 days. Start oral corticosteroid regimen 3 days prior to Luxturna inj in first eye: give equivalent to prednisone 1mg/kg/day (max 40mg/day) for 7 days and taper dose for the next 10 days; apply same regimen for second eye.
Use aseptic technique. Do not inj in immediate vinicity of fovea. Monitor for infection, inflammation, visual disturbances, retinal abnormalities, intraocular pressure; manage appropriately. Avoid changes in altitude (eg, air travel, high elevations, scuba diving) until intraocular air bubble has completely dissipated. Elderly: not established. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Adeno-associated virus vector-based gene therapy.
Conjunctival hyperemia, cataract, increased intraocular pressure, retinal tear, dellen, macular hole, subretinal deposits, eye inflammation/irritation/pain, maculopathy; endophthalmitis.
Single-dose vial (0.5mL)—1 (w. diluent)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Hospitalization Rates in Schizophrenia—Lurasidone vs Quetiapine
- Psychopathology of Adults Affected by Pre- and Perinatal Factors, Family Functioning
- Anxiety: Feature of Late-Onset Dementia or Modifiable Risk Factor?
- New APA President Takes Office as the First African-American to Lead the Organization
- Family History of Psychiatric Disorders an Important Predictor of Postpartum Psychiatric Illness
- Video Games and Exercise as Alternative Therapies for ADHD
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- Comorbid Autism Spectrum Disorder and OCD: Challenges in Diagnosis and Treatment
- Addressing Psychiatric Comorbidities in Inflammatory Rheumatic Diseases
- Exploring the Link Between Persistent Infection, Inflammation, and Mood Disorders
- CDC: No Change in Level of Uninsured in US in 2017
- Benefit of Behavioral Activation During TMS for Major Depressive Disorder
- Global Prevalence of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Illicit Drug Use: A 2017 Status Report