Generic Name and Formulations:
Levonorgestrel 0.1mg, ethinyl estradiol 20mcg (21 tabs); inert (7 tabs).
Mayne Pharma US
Indications for LUTERA:
1 tab daily for 28 days; repeat.
Thrombophlebitis or thromboembolic disorders. Cerebral vascular or coronary artery disease. Breast or other estrogen-dependent neoplasms. Undiagnosed abnormal genital bleeding. Cholestatic jaundice of pregnancy or jaundice with prior OC use. Hepatic adenoma or carcinoma. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Smokers over 35yrs of age: not recommended. Uncontrolled hypertension. Hypertriglyceridemia. Discontinue if jaundice, visual disturbances, migraine or other severe headaches occur. Do regular complete physical exams. May need barrier contraception with Sunday starts or postpartum use (see literature). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Progestin + estrogen.
Antagonized by hepatic enzyme inducing drugs (eg, rifampin, griseofulvin, St. John's wort), possibly others. May affect measurement of sex hormone-binding globulin levels.
Hypertension, nausea, vomiting, breakthrough bleeding, amenorrhea, transient delay of ovulation after discontinuation, edema, chloasma, mastodynia, headache, intolerance to contact lenses. Increased risk of gallbladder disease, thromboembolic disorders.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Short Forms of Parent General Behavior Inventory Reliable at Identifying Youth Mood Symptoms
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents
- Strong Social Networks May Mitigate the Effects of Childhood Adversity
- Unexpected Effect of Substance Use Disorders on Recovery From Bipolar Depression
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Opioid Use Disorder Prevalence at Delivery on the Rise in the US, According to CDC
- Integrating Treatments for Opioid Use Disorder and Infectious Diseases