LUPRON DEPOT 7.5mg Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Leuprolide acetate 7.5mg; depot susp for IM inj; preservative-free.
Indications for LUPRON DEPOT 7.5mg:
Palliative treatment of advanced prostatic carcinoma.
Give as single IM inj into gluteal area, anterior thigh or deltoid; rotate inj sites. 7.5mg once a month (4 weeks).
Initial worsening of signs/symptoms (eg, bone pain, ureteral obstruction, spinal cord compression) may occur; monitor closely in metastatic vertebral lesions, urinary obstruction, hematuria. Monitor serum testosterone, PSA. Increased risk of diabetes, MI, sudden cardiac death, stroke; monitor blood glucose, HbA1c, and for signs/symptoms of CVD during therapy. Increased risk of convulsions in patients with history of seizures, epilepsy, cerebrovascular disorder, CNS anomalies or tumors. Risk of QT prolongation in long-term androgen deprivation therapy, congenital long QT syndrome, electrolyte abnormalities (correct and monitor), or CHF; consider monitoring ECGs. Instruct patient on correct self administration. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant antiarrhythmics may prolong the QT interval. Risk of seizures with concomitant SSRIs, bupropion, others.
Hot flashes/sweats, pain, GI disorders, edema, respiratory disorder, urinary disorders, inj site reaction, joint disorders, testicular atrophy, asthenia, flu syndrome, headache, skin reaction, fatigue; tumor flare, hyperglycemia, convulsions, hypersensitivity.
Depot kit—1 (prefilled dual-chamber syringe w. supplies)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad