Generic Name and Formulations:
Sulfur hexafluoride lipid-type A microspheres (25mg of lipid-type A lyophilized pwd with 60.7mg of sulfur hexafluoride gas); per vial; for IV or intravesical inj after reconstitution.
Indications for LUMASON:
For use in adult patients with suboptimal echocardiograms to opacify the left ventricular chamber and to improve the delineation of the left ventricular endocardial border. For use in ultrasonography of the liver to characterize focal liver lesions in adult and pediatric patients. For use in ultrasonography of the urinary tract for evaluation of suspected or known vesicoureteral reflux in pediatric patients.
See full labeling. Echocardiography: 2mL via IV bolus inj. Ultrasonography of the liver: 2.4mL via IV inj. Both: may repeat dose once if needed. Follow each inj with 5mL normal saline flush.
See full labeling. Ultrasonography of the liver: 0.03mL/kg via IV inj; max 2.4mL per inj. May repeat dose once if needed. Follow each inj with 5mL normal saline flush. Ultrasonography of the urinary tract: 1mL via intravesical bolus inj through the urinary catheter. The bladder may be refilled with normal saline for second cycle of voiding and imaging, without the need of a second Lumason inj.
Serious cardiopulmonary reactions.
Do not administer by intra-arterial inj. Risk of cardiopulmonary reactions (may be fatal); increased risk in those with unstable conditions (eg, acute MI, coronary artery syndromes, CHF, ventricular arrhythmias). Have resuscitation equipment and trained personnel readily available. Assess patients with cardiac shunts for embolic phenomena post inj. Monitor for hypersensitivity reactions. Not recommended for use at mechanical indices >0.8; high index values may lead to ventricular arrhythmias. Pregnancy, nursing mothers: no data.
Headache, nausea, dysgeusia, inj site pain, feeling hot; cardiopulmonary reactions, hypersensitivity reactions.
Kit—1 (one vial + diluent + mini-spike)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation