Generic Name and Formulations:
Loxapine succinate 5mg, 10mg, 25mg, 50mg; caps.
Indications for LOXITANE:
Individualize. Give in divided doses, usually 2–4 times daily. Initially 10mg twice daily; severe: initially up to a total of 50mg/day. Dosage may be increased over first 7 to 10 days until effective response; usual range 60–100mg daily. Max 250mg/day. Maintenance therapy: use lowest effective dose; range 20–60mg daily.
Coma. Severe drug-induced (eg, alcohol, barbiturates, narcotics) depressed states.
Elderly (not for dementia-related psychosis; may increase risk of death). Management of behavioral complications in mental retardation patients: not recommended. History of convulsive disorders. Cardiovascular disease. Glaucoma. Urinary retention. Pre-existing low WBC or history of drug induced leukopenia/neutropenia; monitor CBCs during 1st few months of treatment. Monitor for fever and symptoms/signs of infection in patients with neutropenia; discontinue if severe (ANC<1000/mm3). Perform fall risk assessments when initiating and recurrently on long-term therapy. Neonates: risk of extrapyramidal and/or withdrawal symptoms post delivery (due to exposure during 3rd-trimester pregnancy). Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid concomitant alcohol, other CNS depressants. Caution with concomitant anticholinergic-type antiparkinson, CNS-active drugs. Significant respiratory depression, stupor and/or hypotension with lorazepam.
Tardive dyskinesia, hypotension, drowsiness, insomnia, jaundice, blood dyscrasias, GI upset, may mask emetic signs of overdosage or disease, lowered seizure threshold, dermatitis, rash, hyperprolactinemia, anticholinergic effects, pigmentary retinopathy, lenticular pigmentation, extrapyramidal reactions, neuroleptic malignant syndrome (monitor).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Heavy Cigarette Smoking in Adolescence May Increase Risk for Psychosis
- CYP2C19 Genotyping Aids Risk Stratification, Individualized Therapy for Depression
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders