Generic Name and Formulations:
Loteprednol etabonate 0.5%; oph susp; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Bausch & Lomb Inc.
Indications for LOTEMAX:
Steroid-responsive ocular diseases. Post-op inflammation after ocular surgery.
Steroid-responsive diseases: 1–2 drops into affected eye(s) 4 times daily. May give up to 1 drop every 1 hr within the 1st week of therapy. Post-op: 1–2 drops into operated eye(s) 4 times daily beginning 24 hrs after surgery, continue for 2 wks post-op.
Ocular fungal, viral, or mycobacterial infections.
Reevaluate if no improvement after 2 days. Prescribe initially and renew after 14 days only after appropriate exam. Corneal or scleral thinning. Glaucoma. History of herpes simplex. Monitor IOP and for secondary infections in prolonged therapy (>10 days). Avoid abrupt cessation. Soft contact lenses (remove during therapy). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Local reactions (eg, blurred vision, burning, itching, dry eye), photophobia, headache, rhinitis, pharyngitis. May mask or exacerbate ocular infections. Prolonged use may increase: IOP, optic nerve damage, visual acuity and field defects, cataract formation, corneal perforation. May delay healing and increase bleb formation after cataract surgery; also, Oint/Gel: anterior chamber inflammation, conjunctival hyperemia, corneal edema, eye pain.
Susp—5mL, 10mL, 15mL, Oint—3.5g; Gel—5g
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Characteristics of Unipolar Mania, Distinct from Bipolar Disorder, Described
- Aspirin, N-Acetylcysteine Effective Adjunctive Treatments in Bipolar Depression
- Subthreshold Pediatric Bipolar Disorder Is a Significant Psychiatric Burden
- Potential Biomarker Differentiates Between Bipolar Disorder With, Without Psychosis
- Part 1: Adolescent Tech Use and Mental Health: Expert Roundtable
- Challenging Stigma: Should Psychiatrists Disclose Their Own Mental Illness?
- Social Anxiety in Schizophrenia: An Overlooked Problem
- Inflammation: Is It the Link Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Depression?
- Childhood Physical Violence Associated With Decreased Total Cholesterol
- How the Government Shutdown Affects FDA Activities
- The Robot Will See You Now: The Increasing Role of Robotics in Psychiatric Care
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Improves Psychiatric Disorders During Addiction Therapy
- Infections, Antibiotics Associated With Subsequent Increased Risk for Mental Disorders in Youth