Generic Name and Formulations:
Loteprednol etabonate 0.5%; oph susp; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Bausch & Lomb Inc.
Indications for LOTEMAX:
Steroid-responsive ocular diseases. Post-op inflammation after ocular surgery.
Steroid-responsive diseases: 1–2 drops into affected eye(s) 4 times daily. May give up to 1 drop every 1 hr within the 1st week of therapy. Post-op: 1–2 drops into operated eye(s) 4 times daily beginning 24 hrs after surgery, continue for 2 wks post-op.
Ocular fungal, viral, or mycobacterial infections.
Reevaluate if no improvement after 2 days. Prescribe initially and renew after 14 days only after appropriate exam. Corneal or scleral thinning. Glaucoma. History of herpes simplex. Monitor IOP and for secondary infections in prolonged therapy (>10 days). Avoid abrupt cessation. Soft contact lenses (remove during therapy). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Local reactions (eg, blurred vision, burning, itching, dry eye), photophobia, headache, rhinitis, pharyngitis. May mask or exacerbate ocular infections. Prolonged use may increase: IOP, optic nerve damage, visual acuity and field defects, cataract formation, corneal perforation. May delay healing and increase bleb formation after cataract surgery; also, Oint/Gel: anterior chamber inflammation, conjunctival hyperemia, corneal edema, eye pain.
Susp—5mL, 10mL, 15mL, Oint—3.5g; Gel—5g
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation