LOPRESSOR INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Metoprolol tartrate 5mg; soln for IV inj.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for LOPRESSOR INJECTION:
In stabilized patients after MI, to reduce mortality.
See literature. Early treatment: initially administer three 5mg IV bolus inj given at approximately 2-minute intervals; monitor BP, HR, ECG. If full IV dose (15mg) tolerable, give 50mg (tab) every 6 hours starting 15 mins after the last IV dose and continue for 48 hours, thereafter, give maintenance dose of 100mg (tab) twice daily; if full IV dose not tolerable, give 25–50mg (tab) every 6 hours starting 15 mins after the last IV dose or as soon as clinical condition allows; if severe intolerance: discontinue treatment. Late treatment: if early phase treatment is contraindicated, intolerable or delayed therapy needed, start with 100mg (tab) twice daily for at least three months.
Significant 1st degree heart block. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Systolic pressure<100mmHg or heart rate <45 beats/min. Moderate-to-severe cardiac failure.
Avoid abrupt discontinuation in ischemic heart disease.
CHF. Monitor heart rate and rhythm; reduce or stop treatment if severe bradycardia develops. Bronchospastic disease. Hepatic dysfunction. Diabetes. Pheochromocytoma. Hyperthyroidism. Surgery. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Bradycardia with catecholamine-depleting drugs. May be potentiated by potent CYP2D6 inhibitors (eg, fluoxetine, paroxetine, bupropion, thioridazine, quinidine, propafenone, ritonavir, diphenhydramine, hydroxychloroquine, terbinafine, cimetidine), hydralazine, inhalation anesthetics. Increased risk of bradycardia with concomitant digitalis. May block epinephrine. Increased rebound hypertension with clonidine withdrawal. May enhance vasoconstrictive action of ergots. Withhold before dipyridamole testing.
Fatigue, dizziness, depression, hypotension (discontinue if occurs), diarrhea, rash, dyspnea, bradycardia, cold extremities, palpitations, CHF, peripheral edema, bronchospasm, heart block.
Tabs—100; Ampuls (5mL)—10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Significant Rates of Major Depressive Disorder Found in Dementia
- Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Intracranial Volume in Schizophrenia
- TBI Linked to Increased Suicide Risk
- Behavioral Executive Dysfunction Associated With Chronic Kidney Disease
- Factors That Predict Treatment Outcomes, Remission in Pediatric OCD