Generic Name and Formulations:
Lithium carbonate 300mg; extended-release tabs.
Indications for LITHOBID:
Mania in bipolar disorder.
Swallow whole. Acute mania: 1800mg/day in 2–3 divided doses. Usual maintenance: 900–1200mg daily in 2–3 divided doses.
Increased risk of lithium toxicity in renal or cardiovascular disease, severely debilitated or dehydrated, sodium depletion, concomitant diuretics, ACE inhibitors, or ARBs: not recommended (if necessary, use low doses, monitor serum lithium levels daily). Brugada syndrome: avoid. Seizure disorders. Organic brain syndrome or other CNS impairment: monitor for neurologic toxicity. Maintain adequate fluid and salt intake esp. with fever, sweating, diarrhea, or infection. Monitor serum lithium levels frequently (toxic and therapeutic levels are close); draw blood for serum tests 8–12 hrs after previous dose. Monitor thyroid, renal function. Discontinue if diarrhea, vomiting, tremor, ataxia, drowsiness or weakness occur. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Lithium toxicity potentiated by diuretics, ACE inhibitors, ARBs, carbamazepine, indomethacin, piroxicam (possibly other NSAIDs, including COX-2 inhibitors), metronidazole, calcium channel blockers; monitor. Discontinue if signs of neurologic toxicity occur with neuroleptics (eg, haloperidol). Xanthines, acetazolamide, urea, alkalinizing agents may reduce serum lithium levels. Fluoxetine has variable effects on serum lithium levels. Prolongs effects of neuromuscular blockers. Hypothyroidism with chronic iodide administration. Serotonin syndrome with SSRIs.
Polyuria, polydipsia, drowsiness, tremor, hypothyroidism, extrapyramidal symptoms, nausea, renal toxicity, seizures, arrhythmias, hypotension, lethargy, metallic taste, dry mouth, blurred vision, pseudotumor cerebri (discontinue if occurs).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders