Generic Name and Formulations:
Lithium carbonate 300mg; extended-release tabs.
Indications for LITHOBID:
Mania in bipolar disorder.
Swallow whole. Acute mania: 1800mg/day in 2–3 divided doses. Usual maintenance: 900–1200mg daily in 2–3 divided doses.
Increased risk of lithium toxicity in renal or cardiovascular disease, severely debilitated or dehydrated, sodium depletion, concomitant diuretics, ACE inhibitors, or ARBs: not recommended (if necessary, use low doses, monitor serum lithium levels daily). Brugada syndrome: avoid. Seizure disorders. Organic brain syndrome or other CNS impairment: monitor for neurologic toxicity. Maintain adequate fluid and salt intake esp. with fever, sweating, diarrhea, or infection. Monitor serum lithium levels frequently (toxic and therapeutic levels are close); draw blood for serum tests 8–12 hrs after previous dose. Monitor thyroid, renal function. Discontinue if diarrhea, vomiting, tremor, ataxia, drowsiness or weakness occur. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Lithium toxicity potentiated by diuretics, ACE inhibitors, ARBs, carbamazepine, indomethacin, piroxicam (possibly other NSAIDs, including COX-2 inhibitors), metronidazole, calcium channel blockers; monitor. Discontinue if signs of neurologic toxicity occur with neuroleptics (eg, haloperidol). Xanthines, acetazolamide, urea, alkalinizing agents may reduce serum lithium levels. Fluoxetine has variable effects on serum lithium levels. Prolongs effects of neuromuscular blockers. Hypothyroidism with chronic iodide administration. Serotonin syndrome with SSRIs.
Polyuria, polydipsia, drowsiness, tremor, hypothyroidism, extrapyramidal symptoms, nausea, renal toxicity, seizures, arrhythmias, hypotension, lethargy, metallic taste, dry mouth, blurred vision, pseudotumor cerebri (discontinue if occurs).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Short Forms of Parent General Behavior Inventory Reliable at Identifying Youth Mood Symptoms
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Digital Media Engagement Associated With ADHD Symptoms in Adolescents
- Strong Social Networks May Mitigate the Effects of Childhood Adversity
- Unexpected Effect of Substance Use Disorders on Recovery From Bipolar Depression
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Opioid Use Disorder Prevalence at Delivery on the Rise in the US, According to CDC
- Integrating Treatments for Opioid Use Disorder and Infectious Diseases