Lidocaine Jelly Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Lidocaine HCl 2%; aqueous.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Lidocaine Jelly:
Anesthesia in procedures of urethra, painful urethritis. Anesthesic lubricant for endotracheal intubation.
Adults and Children:
Sepsis. Traumatized mucosa. Severe shock. Heart block. Monitor for familial malignant hyperthermia (eg, tachycardia, tachypnea). Avoid eyes. Do not eat for 1 hour after oral application. Children, elderly, debilitated, acutely ill: reduce dose. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
CNS effects (eg, dizziness, visual disturbances, tremor, respiratory depression), bradycardia, hypotension.
Formerly known under the brand name Xylocaine.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation