Generic Name and Formulations:
Chlordiazepoxide HCl 5mg, 10mg, 25mg; caps.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for LIBRIUM:
Individualize. Mild-to-moderate: 5–10mg 3–4 times daily. Severe: 20–25mg 3–4 times daily. Elderly or debilitated: 5mg 2–4 times daily.
<6yrs: not recommended. ≥6yrs: 5mg 2–4 times daily. May increase to 10mg 2–3 times daily.
Risks from concomitant use with opioids; see Interactions. Therapy for >4 months. Suicidal tendencies. Depression. Psychosis. Porphyria. Seizure disorder. Monitor blood counts and liver function. Reevaluate periodically. Abuse potential (monitor). Drug or alcohol abuse. Avoid abrupt cessation. Change dose gradually. Renal or hepatic impairment. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (during the 1st trimester), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased sedation, respiratory depression, coma, and death with concomitant opioids; reserve use in those for whom alternative treatment options are inadequate; if needed, limit dosages/durations to minimum and monitor. Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Variable effects with anticoagulants. Avoid other psychotropics.
Drowsiness, CNS depression, ataxia, confusion, paradoxical excitement, memory impairment, nausea, constipation, blood dyscrasias, jaundice, skin eruptions, edema, extrapyramidal effects.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad