Generic Name and Formulations:
Chlordiazepoxide HCl 5mg, clidinium bromide 2.5mg; caps.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for LIBRAX:
Adjunct in peptic ulcer. Irritable bowel syndrome. Acute enterocolitis.
Individualize. Usually 1–2 caps 3–4 times daily before meals and at bedtime. Elderly or debilitated: max 2 caps daily initially, then may increase gradually.
Glaucoma. GI or GU obstruction.
Risks from concomitant use with opioids; see Interactions. Monitor for paradoxical reactions. Depression. Suicidal tendencies (monitor). Hepatic and renal impairment. Obtain LFTs and blood counts periodically in prolonged use. Drug or alcohol abuse. Write ℞ for smallest practical amount. Avoid abrupt cessation. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy; avoid during the first trimester. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased sedation, respiratory depression, coma, and death with concomitant opioids; reserve use in those for whom alternative treatment options are inadequate; if needed, limit dosages/durations to minimum and monitor. Additive CNS depressant effects with alcohol or other CNS depressants. Concomitant other psychotropic agents (eg, MAOIs, phenothiazines): not recommended. Increased constipation with concomitant other spasmolytic agents and/or a low residue diet. May rarely interfere with oral anticoagulants.
Benzodiazepine + anticholinergic.
Drowsiness, anticholinergic effects (eg, dry mouth, blurred vision, urinary hesitancy, constipation), ataxia, confusion; rare: jaundice, blood dyscrasias.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders