Generic Name and Formulations:
Mesalamine 1.2g; del-rel tabs.
Shire US, Inc.
Indications for LIALDA:
To induce remission in active, mild-to-moderate ulcerative colitis; and to maintain remission of ulcerative colitis.
≥18yrs: Swallow whole with a meal. 2.4–4.8g once daily for up to 8 weeks. Maintenance: 2.4g once daily.
<18yrs: not established.
Sulfasalazine allergy. Upper GI tract obstruction (eg, pyloric stenosis) may delay onset of action. Monitor for mesalamine-induced acute intolerance syndrome; discontinue if suspected. Conditions predisposing to myocarditis or pericarditis. Renal or hepatic impairment. Monitor renal function prior to and periodically during therapy. Elderly (monitor CBCs). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Increased toxicity with nephrotoxic drugs (eg, NSAIDs). Increased risk of blood disorders with azathioprine or 6-mercaptopurine. May cause elevated test results in measuring urinary normetanephrine.
Ulcerative colitis, headache, flatulence, abnormal LFTs, abdominal pain; acute intolerance syndrome (cramping, bloody diarrhea, fever, headache, rash), renal impairment, cardiac hypersensitivity reactions, pancreatitis (rare).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of ADHD Relatively Stable Over Time Despite Increase in Diagnoses
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed