Splenomegaly with platelet sequestration
Increased platelet destruction by an immune mechanism; can occur as a result of:
Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT)
Idiopathic or immune thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP)
Drug (other than heparin)-induced thrombocytopenia
Post-transfusion purpura (PTP)
Increased platelet destruction by non-immune mechanisms, as caused by:
Hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS)
Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP)
Decreased platelet production most often occurs after exposure to drugs (e.g., chemotherapeutic agents) that suppress synthesis of new platelets or by infiltration of the marrow by tumor or other structures.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Platelet count establishes presence or absence of thrombocytopenia; 100,000 functional platelets/µL is usually considered adequate for any challenge to hemostasis.
Workup for DIC:
D-dimer or FDP
Peripheral blood smear to check for schistocytes
Test for HIT:
Most often available is ELISA for antibody to platelet factor 4/heparin complex
ITP is a diagnosis of exclusion.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Healthcare Community Should Favor More Restrictive Alcohol Policies
- How to Respond to a Patient's Request for Prayer: A Clinician's Dilemma
- Major Barriers to Useful Risk Prediction Must Be Overcome to Reach the Full Potential of Big Data
- ACA Coverage Gains Include Workers Without Insurance
- Steps Provided for Discharging Patients From Practice