Positive Screening Test for HIV
Patient has an HIV infection.
Screening test is a false-positive; there is no HIV infection.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Most important test for patient with a positive HIV screening test
Will determine if patient has antibodies to specific HIV-associated proteins
Will confirm or refute a diagnosis of HIV infection.
Some HIV-positive patients have a low CD4 count.
Extent of decrease may be useful in making decisions about prophylaxis against opportunistic infections.
HIV viral load
More than 5000 copies/mL suggests progression
Less than 5000 copies/mL is the target for successful treatment of HIV.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Efficacy, Safety of Long-Term Ketamine Administration Still In Question
- Etiology of Schizophrenia: Strong Association With Certain Rare Copy Number Variants
- KCNQ Channel Potentiator Ezogabine Delivers Promising Results in Major Depressive Disorder
- Vulnerability to Psychosocial Disability in Psychosis
- FDA to Review Lumateperone for Treatment of Schizophrenia
- Cannabis Use, Cannabis Use Disorder Linked to Psychotic, Depressive Symptoms
- Abstinence From Regular Cannabis Use Improves Memory Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- Association Between Opioid and Benzodiazepine Misuse and Suicidal Ideation
- Group Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Is Effective Treatment for Adolescent Anxiety
- The Intersection of Eating and Alcohol Disorders: Detecting and Managing "Drunkorexia"
- Self-Harm in Older Adults Associated With Subsequent Death From Unnatural Causes
- Anxiety-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Help Kids in Other Ways
- Few Physicians Work in Practices That Use Telemedicine
- Hearing Loss in Older Adults Linked to Depression, Dementia Among Other Comorbidities
- "Gender Panic" in Clinical Settings: Protecting Public Accommodations Access for Transgender Individuals