Elevated Serum or Plasma Sodium
Excessive parenteral sodium administration in an unconscious patient whose thirst mechanism is absent.
Excessive use of diuretics or other drugs leading to water loss in the patient who cannot compensate by intake of water.
Diabetes insipidus may be central (neurogenic), acquired nephrogenic, or congenital nephrogenic.
Mineralocorticoid or glucocorticoid excess from primary hyperaldosteronism and Cushing syndrome with or without ectopic adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) production.
Insensible water loss through the skin in the patient unable to obtain water or swallow.
Clinical findings progress from somnolence to confusion, coma, and respiratory paralysis as the hypernatremia worsens.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Hypernatremia most frequently occurs in an ICU when excess intravenous (IV) sodium is given to an unconscious patient.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Urinary electrolytes to assess for diabetes insipidus.
Serum aldosterone to identify primary hyperaldosteronism 24-hour urine free cortisol to identify Cushing syndrome, with or without ectopic ACTH production.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- The Challenges of Identifying Biomarkers of Psychiatric Illness
- Cardioprotective Treatment May Reduce Adverse Effects in Schizophrenia
- Impulsivity in Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, ADHD
- Oral Therapy for Suicidal Bipolar Depression Gets Breakthrough Designation
- FDA Approves Powerful New Opioid Despite Criticisms
- Cannabis Use in Adolescence Associated With Poorer Mental Health Outcomes
- Updates in Borderline Personality Disorder: Your Questions Answered
- Violent Video Games Tied to Physical Aggression
- Shame Drives Suicidal Ideation Among Veterans With PTSD
- Long-term Healthy Diet Associated With Greater Hippocampal Volumes
- Noninvasive Brain Stimulation of Prefrontal Cortex in Trait Anxiety
- Peer Support Reduces Hospitalizations in People With Diabetes and Depression
- FDA to Ban Most Flavored Electronic Cigarettes
- Predictors of CBT Outcomes Identified in Youths With Anxiety Disorders
- Happy Childhood Memories Associated With Better Health