Elevated Serum Calcium
Excess parathyroid hormone (PTH) secretion from a single parathyroid adenoma, hyperplasia of the parathyroids, parathyroid carcinoma
Especially tumors of the breast, lung, and kidney in which hypercalcemia may occur from direct bony metastasis
Multiple myeloma that directly degrades bone
Other cancers that produce hypercalcemia by inducing PTH secretion
Excess vitamin D intake
Prolonged use of diuretics and thiazides known to produce hypercalcemia
Severe hypercalcemia favors a diagnosis of cancer.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Hypercalcemia from malignancy is especially common.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
In primary hyperparathyroidism, serum PTH is increased and serum phosphorus is decreased.
In hypercalcemia of malignancy, serum phosphorus is decreased in approximately 50% of patients, and there is a decrease in the serum PTH in these patients.
Serum protein electrophoresis is useful in the assessment for multiple myeloma. Serum 1,25-dihydroxy vitamin D is low in hypercalcemia of malignancy. It is often increased in primary hyperparathyroidism.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Family History of Psychiatric Disorders an Important Predictor of Postpartum Psychiatric Illness
- Antidepressant Use May Be Linked With Sustained Risk for Weight Gain
- New APA President Takes Office as the First African-American to Lead the Organization
- MDMA-Assisted Psychotherapy Effective for Treating PTSD in Veterans, First Responders
- Substance Abuse and Primary Psychosis: A Closer Look
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- Cannabidiol Not Associated With Improvement in Chronic Schizophrenia
- Methadone Maintenance Therapy Associated With Greater Access to Physician Care in HCV-Positive Drug Users
- New Dimensions in Psychopathy: Are There Cultural Differences in Psychopaths?
- Addressing Psychiatric Comorbidities in Inflammatory Rheumatic Diseases
- Exploring the Link Between Persistent Infection, Inflammation, and Mood Disorders
- CDC: No Change in Level of Uninsured in US in 2017
- Benefit of Behavioral Activation During TMS for Major Depressive Disorder