Elevated Hemoglobin or Hematocrit
Pt with true polycythemia with an increased red blood cell (RBC) mass.
Pt with a relative polycythemia and a normal RBC mass as a result of dehydration or another state producing a low plasma volume.
Polycythemia in which the RBC mass is high enough to impair blood flow.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Polycythemia vera, also known as primary polycythemia, is not secondary to any disorder.
Polycythemia from an underlying disorder (secondary polycythemia) is much more common than primary polycythemia.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Serum erythropoietin level is low in primary polycythemia, unlike secondary polycythemia, so the erythropoietin (EPO) level can be useful in separating primary and secondary polycythemia.
Strict criteria are required for the diagnosis of polycythemia vera: (A1 plus A2 plus any other A) or (A1 plus A2 plus any 2B) criteria:
Increased RBC mass by hemoglobin, hematocrit, or RBC number (A1)
Erythrocytosis is not secondary to another cause (A2)
Clonal cytogenetic abnormality other than the Philadelphia chromosome (A4)
Endogenous erythroid colony formation in vitro (A5)
Platelet count greater than 400,000/µL (B1)
WBC count greater than 12,000/µL (B2)
Panmyelosis on bone marrow biopsy (B3)
Low serum EPO (B4)
Bone marrow biopsy may be useful to determine if polycythemia vera is in a hypercellular phase with greater than 60% cellularity or in a hypocellular bone marrow with markedly increased reticulin fibers.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses