BUN and/or Creatinine Increased: Intrarenal Cause
Congenital kidney anomalies
Diseases of the kidney associated with a cystic mass
Diseases of the kidney associated with a solid mass
Diseases without a mass primarily manifested as glomerular defects
Diseases without a mass in which there is primarily tubular or interstitial (tubulointerstitial) disease
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
For diseases associated with no mass that are glomerular or tubular, urinalysis is informative.
Glomerular disease is suggested by a high amount of urinary protein (including albumin) and red blood cell (RBC) casts with or without loose RBCs.
Tubular disease is suggested by a moderate degree of urinary protein that is primarily not albumin or other relatively high-molecular-weight proteins.
Granular or white blood cell (WBC) casts or loose WBCs in the urine are often associated with infection.
Because tubular dysfunction can be caused by infections and exposure to drugs, tests for infectious diseases and drug levels can be important.
Renal stones of different composition and multiple myeloma may produce tubular disease.
Tests for renal stones and multiple myeloma involve urinalysis and blood testing.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation