BUN and/or Creatinine Increased: Intrarenal Cause
Congenital kidney anomalies
Diseases of the kidney associated with a cystic mass
Diseases of the kidney associated with a solid mass
Diseases without a mass primarily manifested as glomerular defects
Diseases without a mass in which there is primarily tubular or interstitial (tubulointerstitial) disease
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
For diseases associated with no mass that are glomerular or tubular, urinalysis is informative.
Glomerular disease is suggested by a high amount of urinary protein (including albumin) and red blood cell (RBC) casts with or without loose RBCs.
Tubular disease is suggested by a moderate degree of urinary protein that is primarily not albumin or other relatively high-molecular-weight proteins.
Granular or white blood cell (WBC) casts or loose WBCs in the urine are often associated with infection.
Because tubular dysfunction can be caused by infections and exposure to drugs, tests for infectious diseases and drug levels can be important.
Renal stones of different composition and multiple myeloma may produce tubular disease.
Tests for renal stones and multiple myeloma involve urinalysis and blood testing.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Family History of Psychiatric Disorders an Important Predictor of Postpartum Psychiatric Illness
- Antidepressant Use May Be Linked With Sustained Risk for Weight Gain
- New APA President Takes Office as the First African-American to Lead the Organization
- MDMA-Assisted Psychotherapy Effective for Treating PTSD in Veterans, First Responders
- Substance Abuse and Primary Psychosis: A Closer Look
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- Cannabidiol Not Associated With Improvement in Chronic Schizophrenia
- Methadone Maintenance Therapy Associated With Greater Access to Physician Care in HCV-Positive Drug Users
- New Dimensions in Psychopathy: Are There Cultural Differences in Psychopaths?
- Addressing Psychiatric Comorbidities in Inflammatory Rheumatic Diseases
- Exploring the Link Between Persistent Infection, Inflammation, and Mood Disorders
- CDC: No Change in Level of Uninsured in US in 2017
- Benefit of Behavioral Activation During TMS for Major Depressive Disorder