Altered Urinary pH
Respiratory or metabolic acidosis
Respiratory or metabolic alkalosis Defect in renal tubular secretion and reabsorption
Don't Miss - Dangerous Situations
Severe acidosis or alkalosis could result in a lethal outcome in the short term and should be addressed immediately.
Commonly Encountered Situations
There are many causes of acidosis and alkalosis with altered urinary pH.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Blood gas testing is valuable in the assessment of respiratory or metabolic acidosis or alkalosis.
Serum or plasma BUN or creatinine for initial assessment of renal function should be ordered.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Methylphenidate for ADHD Treatment May Be Associated With Low BMI
- Patients With Schizophrenia May Benefit From Occupational Therapy
- Minocycline vs Routine Care for Clinical Symptom Improvement in Schizophrenia
- Temperament Traits May Predict Treatment Outcomes Depression
- FDA Panel Votes on Postpartum Depression Treatment Zulresso
- Cardioprotective Treatment May Reduce Adverse Effects in Schizophrenia
- Opioid Use Often Persists in Workers' Compensation Claimants
- Parental Mental Disorders Linked to Work Disabilities in Offspring
- Insomnia in Borderline Personality Disorder May Increase Suicide Risk
- Mortality Rates in Parkinson Disease Psychosis With Pimavanserin, Quetiapine