Altered Urinary pH
Respiratory or metabolic acidosis
Respiratory or metabolic alkalosis Defect in renal tubular secretion and reabsorption
Don't Miss - Dangerous Situations
Severe acidosis or alkalosis could result in a lethal outcome in the short term and should be addressed immediately.
Commonly Encountered Situations
There are many causes of acidosis and alkalosis with altered urinary pH.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Blood gas testing is valuable in the assessment of respiratory or metabolic acidosis or alkalosis.
Serum or plasma BUN or creatinine for initial assessment of renal function should be ordered.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Family History of Psychiatric Disorders an Important Predictor of Postpartum Psychiatric Illness
- New APA President Takes Office as the First African-American to Lead the Organization
- MDMA-Assisted Psychotherapy Effective for Treating PTSD in Veterans, First Responders
- Antidepressant Use May Be Linked With Sustained Risk for Weight Gain
- Early Intervention Services Superior to Treatment as Usual for Early-Phase Psychosis
- Video Games and Exercise as Alternative Therapies for ADHD
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- Cannabidiol Not Associated With Improvement in Chronic Schizophrenia
- New Dimensions in Psychopathy: Are There Cultural Differences in Psychopaths?
- Addressing Psychiatric Comorbidities in Inflammatory Rheumatic Diseases
- Exploring the Link Between Persistent Infection, Inflammation, and Mood Disorders
- CDC: No Change in Level of Uninsured in US in 2017
- Benefit of Behavioral Activation During TMS for Major Depressive Disorder