Abnormal Platelet Aggregation Studies
Acquired causes of platelet dysfunction:
Ingestion of aspirin or aspirin-like compounds or NSAIDs
Impaired renal function
Exposure to cardiopulmonary bypass
Presence of a paraprotein
Congenital causes of platelet dysfunction:
Storage pool disease
Disorders of thromboxane production or action
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Platelet aggregation studies with characteristic response patterns for the different agonists help identify Glanzmann thrombasthenia, Bernard-Soulier disease, aspirin ingestion, and defects in thromboxane production or action.
Plasma or serum BUN and creatinine and urinalysis to assess renal function should be ordered.
If aspirin ingestion is suspected but denied by patient, measurement of salicylates (metabolites of aspirin) may prove useful.
Bone marrow biopsy may be useful if myeloproliferative disease is suspected.
Serum protein electrophoresis can reveal a paraprotein. To identify platelet granule storage pool disease, assays for the granular contents of platelets can be performed, but these are complex, costly, and rarely performed.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders