KOGENATE FS Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Antihemophilic Factor VIII (recombinant) 250 IU, 500 IU, 1000 IU, 2000 IU, 3000 IU; per vial; lyophilized pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution; contains sucrose; preservative-free.
Indications for KOGENATE FS:
Prevention and control of hemorrhagic episodes in Hemophilia A. Surgical prophylaxis in Hemophilia A. Routine prophylaxis to reduce frequency of hemorrhagic episodes and joint damage in children with Hemophilia A with no pre-existing joint damage.
Adults and Children:
Dosage Required (IU) = Body Weight (kg) × Desired % Factor VIII Increase × 0.5. Individualize. Infuse over 1–15mins if tolerated. Minor hemorrhage: 10–20 IU/kg; may repeat dose if needed. Moderate hemorrhage or minor surgery: 15–30 IU/kg; may repeat dose every 12–24hrs until resolved. Major hemorrhage, fractures or head trauma: initially 40–50 IU/kg, then 20–25 IU/kg every 8–12hrs until resolved. Major surgery: pre-op: 50 IU/kg (verify 100% activity prior to surgery); repeat if needed after 6–12hrs initially, and for 10–14 days until completely healed. Routine prophylaxis in children: 25 IU/kg every other day.
Mouse or hamster protein sensitivity.
Not for von Willebrand's disease. Confirm Factor VIII deficiency prior to treatment. Monitor for development of Factor VIII inhibitors. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Inj site reactions, dizziness, rash, BP increase, pruritus, hypersensitivity reactions, antibody formation, central venous line-associated infections.
Kit—1 (vial w. diluent and BIO-SET system)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation