Generic Name and Formulations:
Sincalide 5mcg; per vial; lyophilized pwd for IV inj after reconstitution; contains sodium metabisulfite.
Indications for KINEVAC:
To stimulate gallbladder contraction, as may be assessed by various methods of diagnostic imaging, or to obtain by duodenal aspiration a sample of concentrated bile for analysis of cholesterol, bile salts, phospholipids, and crystals. To stimulate pancreatic secretion (especially in conjunction with secretin) prior to obtaining a duodenal aspirate for analysis of enzyme activity, composition, and cytology. To accelerate the transit of a barium meal through the small bowel, thereby decreasing the time and extent of radiation associated with fluoroscopy and x-ray examination of the intestinal tract.
Give by IV inj. Gallbladder contraction: 0.02mcg/kg over 30–60secs; if unsatisfactory contraction after 15mins, may give second dose of 0.04mcg/kg. Pancreatic function test: 0.02mcg/kg infused over 30mins (start 30mins after secretin infusion). Barium meal transit: 0.04mcg/kg over 30–60secs; if unsatisfactory transit of barium meal after 30mins, may give second dose of 0.04mcg/kg.
Have appropriate medical treatment readily available. Monitor for hypersensitivity reactions; discontinue if occur and do not restart. Small gallbladder stones (risk of lodging in cystic duct or common bile duct; rare). Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B); spontaneous abortion or premature induction of labor may occur, do not give to women near term. Nursing mothers.
Cholecystopancreatic-gastrointestinal hormone peptide.
Abdominal discomfort/pain, nausea; anaphylaxis, other hypersensitivity reactions.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad