Generic Name and Formulations:
Dichlorphenamide 50mg; scored tabs.
Indications for KEVEYIS:
Primary hyperkalemic or hypokalemic periodic paralysis and related variants.
Initially 50mg twice daily. Adjust dose based on response, at weekly intervals (or sooner if adverse reactions occur); max 200mg daily. Evaluate after 2 months.
Concomitant high-dose aspirin. Severe pulmonary disease. Hepatic insufficiency. Sulfonamides.
Discontinue at first sign of skin rash or immune-mediated or idiosyncratic adverse reaction. Adrenocortical insufficiency, hyperchloremic metabolic acidosis, respiratory acidosis: increased risk of hypokalemia. Metabolic acidosis. Monitor serum potassium and bicarbonate at baseline and periodically during treatment; reduce dose or discontinue if hypokalemia or metabolic acidosis develops. Increased risk of falls (esp. elderly, higher doses); consider dose reduction or discontinuation if occurs. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Carbonic anhydrase inhibitor.
Caution with concomitant low-dose aspirin. Increased risk of hypokalemia with loop or thiazide diuretics, laxatives, antifungals, penicillin, and theophylline.
Paresthesia, cognitive disorder, dysgeusia, confusion, hypoesthesia, lethargy, dizziness, nausea, fatigue, muscle spasms, rash; hypersensitivity reactions.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Characteristics of Unipolar Mania, Distinct from Bipolar Disorder, Described
- Aspirin, N-Acetylcysteine Effective Adjunctive Treatments in Bipolar Depression
- Subthreshold Pediatric Bipolar Disorder Is a Significant Psychiatric Burden
- Interview-Only Version of Yale-Brown Obsessive-Compulsive Scale Effective for OCD Monitoring in Youth
- Potential Biomarker Differentiates Between Bipolar Disorder With, Without Psychosis
- Part 1: Adolescent Tech Use and Mental Health: Expert Roundtable
- Challenging Stigma: Should Psychiatrists Disclose Their Own Mental Illness?
- Social Anxiety in Schizophrenia: An Overlooked Problem
- Inflammation: Is It the Link Between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Depression?
- Childhood Physical Violence Associated With Decreased Total Cholesterol
- How the Government Shutdown Affects FDA Activities
- The Robot Will See You Now: The Increasing Role of Robotics in Psychiatric Care
- Extended-Release Naltrexone Improves Psychiatric Disorders During Addiction Therapy
- Infections, Antibiotics Associated With Subsequent Increased Risk for Mental Disorders in Youth