KEPPRA XR Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Levetiracetam 500mg, 750mg; ext-rel tabs.
Indications for KEPPRA XR:
Adjunct in partial onset seizures in patients ≥12yrs old.
Initially 1g once daily; may increase at 2-week intervals in increments of 1g/day; max 3g/day. Renal impairment: CrCl 50–80mL/min: 1–2g every 24hrs; CrCl 30–50mL/min: 500mg–1.5g every 24hrs; CrCl <30mL/min: 500mg–1g every 24hrs; ESRD patients on dialysis: use immediate-release levetiracetam.
Renal impairment. Monitor for behavioral abnormalities, psychiatric symptoms, somnolence, and fatigue. Hematologic abnormalities: do CBCs in those experiencing significant weakness, pyrexia, recurrent infections, or coagulation disorders. Discontinue if signs/symptoms of anaphylaxis or angioedema develops. Avoid abrupt cessation. Elderly (consider monitoring renal function). Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C); monitor carefully esp. during 3rd trimester. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Somnolence, asthenia, infection, dizziness, neck pain, pharyngitis; behavioral abnormalities (eg, irritability, aggression, anger, depression, anxiety, apathy), psychotic symptoms, coordination difficulties (eg, ataxia, abnormal gait), hematologic abnormalities, dermatological reactions (may be serious [eg, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis]; discontinue if occurs). Children: also fatigue, nasal congestion, accidental injury, hostility, nervousness, decreased appetite; BP increases in children 1 month–4years (monitor). XR: also nausea.
Enroll pregnant patients exposed to levetiracetam in the North American Antiepileptic Drug pregnancy registry (888) 233-2334 or the UCB AED Pregnancy Registry (888) 537-7734.
Tabs 250mg, 500mg, 750mg—120; 1000mg—60; XR—60; Soln—16oz; Single-use vials (5mL)—10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Healthcare Community Should Favor More Restrictive Alcohol Policies
- How to Respond to a Patient's Request for Prayer: A Clinician's Dilemma
- Major Barriers to Useful Risk Prediction Must Be Overcome to Reach the Full Potential of Big Data
- ACA Coverage Gains Include Workers Without Insurance
- Steps Provided for Discharging Patients From Practice