Generic Name and Formulations:
Cephalexin 250mg, 500mg, 750mg; caps.
Indications for KEFLEX:
Susceptible infections including otitis media, skin and skin structure, bone, respiratory or genitourinary tract.
1–4g/day in divided doses. Usual dose: 250mg every 6hrs. Strep pharyngitis, skin and skin structure, and uncomplicated cystitis (>15yrs of age): 500mg every 12hrs. Treat cystitis for 7–14 days. Max 4g/day.
25–50mg/kg per day in divided doses; max 100mg/kg per day. Otitis media: 75–100mg/kg per day in 4 divided doses. Strep pharyngitis (>1yr of age) or skin and skin structure: may give in 2 divided doses every 12hrs.
Penicillin or other allergy. Severe renal dysfunction. GI disease (esp. colitis). Discontinue if colitis occurs and treat. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiates metformin (monitor and adjust metformin dose). Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) Coomb's test or glucose test with Clinitest or Benedict's or Fehling's soln.
Diarrhea, other GI disturbances, dizziness, fatigue, headache, hypersensitivity reactions, itch; rare: blood dyscrasias, elevated liver enzymes.
Caps 250mg, 500mg—20, 100; 750mg—50
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- Most Patients Comfortable With Clinicians Asking About Sexual Orientation
- Peer-to-Peer Depression Awareness Program May Be Beneficial
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders