Generic Name and Formulations:
Sodium polystyrene sulfonate; pwd; sodium content 4.1mEq/g.
Concordia Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Indications for KAYEXALATE:
Limitations Of use:
Not for treating life-threatening hyperkalemia due to its delayed onset of action.
See full labeling. Oral: give in an upright position; 15g as a suspension 1–4 times daily. Rectal enema: 30–50g in 100mL every 6hrs.
See full labeling. 1g per 1mEq of potassium as basis of calculation may be used.
Obstructive bowel disease. Neonates with reduced gut motility.
Avoid in patients at risk for constipation/impaction (eg, history of impaction, chronic constipation, inflammatory bowel disease, ischemic colitis, vascular intestinal atherosclerosis, previous bowel resection, bowel obstruction); discontinue if constipation develops. Post-surgery: avoid if have not had a bowel movement. CHF, hypertension, edema: monitor for fluid overload. Risk of aspiration. Monitor electrolytes (eg, potassium, calcium, magnesium). Neonates: do not give by oral route. Infants.
Increased risk of intestinal necrosis with concomitant sorbitol; not recommended. Separate dosing by ≥3hrs before or ≥3hrs after other oral drugs (6hrs in patients with gastroparesis). Increased risk of systemic alkalosis with nonadsorbable cation-donating antacids and laxatives. Reduces absorption of thyroxine, lithium.
Cation exchange resin.
Anorexia, constipation, diarrhea, fecal impaction, GI concretions (bezoars), ischemic colitis, nausea, vomiting; intestinal necrosis, electrolyte disturbances.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer's
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations