K-PHOS #2 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Potassium acid phosphate 305mg, sodium acid phosphate 700mg; equiv. to potassium 2.3mEq and sodium 5.8mEq; tabs.
Indications for K-PHOS #2:
1 tab 4 times a day with a full glass of water. If urine very alkaline, 1 tab every 2 hours; max 8 tabs daily.
Renal or adrenal insufficiency. Severe hepatic disease. Infected phosphate stones. Hyperphosphatemia. Hyperkalemia (Original).
Electrolyte restrictions. Cardiac disease. Hypertension. Edema. Monitor serum electrolytes and for GI obstruction. Discontinue if laxation persists after dosage reduction. Hypoparathyroidism. Osteomalacia. Pancreatitis. Dehydration. Toxemia of pregnancy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Antagonized by antacids. Hyperkalemia with ACE inhibitors, triamterene, spironolactone, amiloride, potassium supplements. Toxicity with digitalis. Hypernatremia with methyldopa, guanethidine, other antihypertensives, corticotropins, mineralocorticoids.
Small bowel lesions, laxation, headache, dizziness, hyperacidity, nausea, weakness, confusion, paresthesias, seizures, arrhythmias, shortness of breath, edema.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Healthcare Community Should Favor More Restrictive Alcohol Policies
- How to Respond to a Patient's Request for Prayer: A Clinician's Dilemma
- Major Barriers to Useful Risk Prediction Must Be Overcome to Reach the Full Potential of Big Data
- ACA Coverage Gains Include Workers Without Insurance
- Steps Provided for Discharging Patients From Practice