Generic Name and Formulations:
Ruxolitinib 5mg, 10mg, 15mg, 20mg, 25mg; tabs.
Indications for JAKAFI:
Treatment of intermediate or high-risk myelofibrosis (MF), including primary MF, post-polycythemia vera MF and post-essential thrombocythemia MF. Treatment of polycythemia vera (PV) in patients with an inadequate response to, or intolerant of, hydroxyurea.
Doses may be given by NG tube if unable to swallow tabs. MF: Platelets >200X109/L: initially 20mg twice daily. Platelets 100–200X109/L: initially 15mg twice daily. Platelets 50–<100X109/L: initially 5mg twice daily. May increase doses by 5mg twice daily to a max of 25mg twice daily; do not increase during the first 4 weeks of therapy and not more frequently than every 2 weeks. Discontinue treatment after 6 months if no reduction in spleen size or symptom improvement. Interrupt treatment if platelets <50X109/L or ANC <0.5X109/L. May restart after recovery of platelets or ANC (see full labeling for max allowable restarting doses). Consider dose reductions if platelets decrease but remain ≥50X109/L (see full labeling). Dose modifications for patients starting treatment with platelets 50–<100X109/L: see full labeling. PV: initially 10mg twice daily. May increase doses by 5mg twice daily to a max of 25mg twice daily; do not increase during the first 4 weeks of therapy and not more frequently than every 2 weeks. Consider dose reductions for Hgb and/or platelet decreases (see full labeling). Interrupt treatment if Hgb <8g/dL, platelets <50X109/L, or ANC <1.0X109/L. May restart after recovery of hematologic parameters (see full labeling for max allowable restarting doses). Concomitant strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (see Interactions) or fluconazole ≤200mg (MF): initially 10mg twice daily if platelets ≥100X109/L; if platelets 50–<100X109/L: initially 5mg once daily; (PV): initially 5mg twice daily. Other reductions, hepatic or renal impairment, ESRD: see full labeling.
Monitor for thrombocytopenia, anemia, neutropenia; manage by reducing dose, interrupt, or transfusion if occur. Obtain CBC and platelets before initiating therapy, every 2–4 weeks until doses are stabilized, and then as clinically indicated. Risk of serious bacterial, mycobacterial, fungal, and viral infections; evaluate and treat if occur; delay starting until active infections resolved. May exacerbate MF following treatment interruption or discontinuation. Risk of non-melanoma skin cancer; perform periodic skin exams. Increases in lipid parameters including total-C, LDL, triglycerides; assess 8–12 weeks after starting and treat if hyperlipidemia develops. Avoid abrupt cessation. Renal or hepatic impairment: reduce doses (see full labeling). Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended (during and for 2 weeks after final dose).
Avoid concomitant fluconazole doses >200mg daily. Potentiated by strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole) and moderate CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, erythromycin); consider Jakafi dose reduction. Antagonized by strong CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampin); monitor and adjust dose based on efficacy.
Thrombocytopenia, anemia, bruising, dizziness, headache; herpes zoster, tuberculosis (monitor promptly and test for latent infection), progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (discontinue if occurs), Hepatitis B.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Tolerability of Novel Long-Acting Injectable Aripiprazole Tested for Bipolar Disorder
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Intracranial Volume in Schizophrenia
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad