Generic Name and Formulations:
Japanese encephalitis virus vaccine; inactivated; aluminum hydroxide adsorbed; susp for IM inj; contains formaldehyde, protamine sulfate; preservative-free.
Indications for IXIARO:
Japanese encephalitis virus (JEV) immunization in patients ≥2mos of age.
Adults and Children:
<2mos: not established. Give only by IM inj into anterolateral aspect of the thigh (2mos–<3yrs) or the deltoid muscle (≥3yrs; for 1–<3yrs if muscle mass adequate). Primary series: give doses 28 days apart; complete series at least 1 week before potential exposure. 2mos–<3yrs: two 0.25mL doses; ≥3yrs: two 0.5mL doses. Booster dose (3rd dose): may give at least 11mos after completing the primary series if JEV risks remain. 14mos–<3yrs: one 0.25mL dose; ≥3yrs: one 0.5mL dose.
Severe allergic reaction (eg, anaphylaxis) after a previous dose.
Immunocompromised. Allergy to protamine sulfate. Have appropriate medical treatment readily available. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Japanese encephalitis vaccine.
Avoid concomitant injectable vaccines in the same syringe or injection site; see full labeling. Immunosuppressants may diminish immune response.
Inj site reactions (eg, redness, pain, tenderness), fever, irritability, diarrhea, headache; hypersensitivity reactions, syncope.
Single-dose syringe (0.5mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Healthcare Community Should Favor More Restrictive Alcohol Policies
- How to Respond to a Patient's Request for Prayer: A Clinician's Dilemma
- Major Barriers to Useful Risk Prediction Must Be Overcome to Reach the Full Potential of Big Data
- ACA Coverage Gains Include Workers Without Insurance
- Steps Provided for Discharging Patients From Practice