ISOPTO ATROPINE Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Atropine sulfate 1%; oph soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Alcon Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for ISOPTO ATROPINE:
For mydriasis and/or cycloplegia. For cycloplegic refraction, for papillary dilation desired in inflammatory conditions of the iris and uveal tract.
Compress lacrimal sac by digital pressure for 2–3 minutes after instillation to avoid excessive systemic absorption. Uveitis: 1–2 drops in the eye(s) up to 4 times daily. Heavily pigmented irides may require larger doses.
Primary glaucoma or tendency toward glaucoma (eg, narrow anterior chamber angle).
Previous susceptibility to belladonna alkaloids; excessive use may produce systemic symptoms of atropine poisoning. Estimate depth of angle of anterior chamber to avoid inducing angle closure glaucoma. Infants. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Prolonged use: follicular conjunctivitis, vascular congestion, edema, exudate, eczematoid dermatitis; hypotension, progressive respiratory depression (with excessive systemic absorption); children: coma, death possible.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders