Generic Name and Formulations:
Isoniazid 300mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Isoniazid:
Prophylaxis and treatment of susceptible tuberculosis.
Prophylaxis: 300mg once daily. Active infection: 5mg/kg daily; max 300mg once daily. Do not interrupt therapy.
Prophylaxis: 10mg/kg once daily; max 300mg daily. Active infection: 10–20mg/kg once daily; max 500mg daily. Do not interrupt therapy.
Drug-induced hepatitis. Previous isoniazid-associated hepatic injury. Severe adverse reactions to isoniazid (eg, drug fever, chills, arthritis). Acute liver disease of any etiology.
Impaired renal or hepatic function. Monitor hepatic and ocular function. Alcoholism. Diabetes. Increased risk of liver damage with increasing age. Multiple drug therapy and concomitant pyridoxine may be necessary. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Potentiates phenytoin. Alcohol increases risk of hepatitis. Pyridoxine deficiency increases risk of neuropathy.
Peripheral neuropathy (esp. in slow acetylators), elevated serum transaminases (SGOT; SGPT), bilirubinemia, bilirubinuria, jaundice, hepatitis (may be fatal), nausea, vomiting, epigastric distress, pancreatitis, blood dyscrasias, hypersensitivity reactions (eg, skin eruptions, TEN, DRESS), pyridoxine deficiency, hyperglycemia, pellagra, metabolic acidosis, gynecomastia, rheumatic syndrome, SLE-like syndrome.
Formerly known under the brand names INH, Laniazid.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling