Generic Name and Formulations:
Isoniazid 300mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Isoniazid:
Prophylaxis and treatment of susceptible tuberculosis.
Prophylaxis: 300mg once daily. Active infection: 5mg/kg daily; max 300mg once daily. Do not interrupt therapy.
Prophylaxis: 10mg/kg once daily; max 300mg daily. Active infection: 10–20mg/kg once daily; max 500mg daily. Do not interrupt therapy.
Drug-induced hepatitis. Previous isoniazid-associated hepatic injury. Severe adverse reactions to isoniazid (eg, drug fever, chills, arthritis). Acute liver disease of any etiology.
Impaired renal or hepatic function. Monitor hepatic and ocular function. Alcoholism. Diabetes. Increased risk of liver damage with increasing age. Multiple drug therapy and concomitant pyridoxine may be necessary. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Potentiates phenytoin. Alcohol increases risk of hepatitis. Pyridoxine deficiency increases risk of neuropathy.
Peripheral neuropathy (esp. in slow acetylators), elevated serum transaminases (SGOT; SGPT), bilirubinemia, bilirubinuria, jaundice, hepatitis (may be fatal), nausea, vomiting, epigastric distress, pancreatitis, blood dyscrasias, hypersensitivity reactions (eg, skin eruptions, TEN, DRESS), pyridoxine deficiency, hyperglycemia, pellagra, metabolic acidosis, gynecomastia, rheumatic syndrome, SLE-like syndrome.
Formerly known under the brand names INH, Laniazid.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation