Generic Name and Formulations:
Trivalent poliovirus vaccine; inactivated; whole virus grown in monkey kidney cells; IM or SC inj.
Sanofi Pasteur, Inc.
Indications for IPOL:
Poliomyelitis immunization (virus Types 1, 2, and 3).
Inject IM or SC in deltoid area. Each dose is 0.5mL. Previously unvaccinated: Two doses at a 1–2 month interval and a third dose 6–12 months later. Incompletely vaccinated: give 1–2 doses to complete series. Completely vaccinated: may give booster dose.
Inject IM or SC in midlateral thigh. Each dose is 0.5mL. Under 6 wks: not recommended. Full IPV schedule: One dose at 2 months, 4 months, 6–18 months, and 4–6 years of age. Sequential schedule with oral polio vaccine (OPV) (do not use OPV for immunocompromised patients or patients with immunocompromised household contacts): One dose of IPOL at 2 months and at 4 months of age, then 1 dose of OPV at 12–18 months and 1 dose of OPV at 4–6 years of age.
Hypersensitivity to neomycin, streptomycin, or polymyxin B. May defer in acute febrile illness.
Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Immunodeficiency. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Immunosuppressants: may get suboptimal response.
Local irritation, fever, sleepiness, fussiness, decreased appetite.
Syringe 0.5mL (w. needle)—1, 10; Multidose vial (10 doses)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Early Childhood Out-of-Home Placement Associated With Adverse Outcomes in Adulthood
- Tolerability of Novel Long-Acting Injectable Aripiprazole Tested for Bipolar Disorder
- Coping Strategies for Amplified Emotionality May Improve Bipolar Disorder Symptoms
- Link Between Vitamin D Levels and Intracranial Volume in Schizophrenia
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression Differ Depending on Gender, Race, Ethnicity
- Examining Whether Adjunctive Glutamatergic Medication Further Eases OCD Symptoms
- FDA Permits Marketing of Brain Stimulation Device for OCD
- Antipsychotics Adversely Affect Adiposity and Insulin Sensitivity in Youths
- Know Before You Go: Practicing Medicine Abroad