Generic Name and Formulations:
Trivalent poliovirus vaccine; inactivated; whole virus grown in monkey kidney cells; IM or SC inj.
Sanofi Pasteur, Inc.
Indications for IPOL:
Poliomyelitis immunization (virus Types 1, 2, and 3).
Inject IM or SC in deltoid area. Each dose is 0.5mL. Previously unvaccinated: Two doses at a 1–2 month interval and a third dose 6–12 months later. Incompletely vaccinated: give 1–2 doses to complete series. Completely vaccinated: may give booster dose.
Inject IM or SC in midlateral thigh. Each dose is 0.5mL. Under 6 wks: not recommended. Full IPV schedule: One dose at 2 months, 4 months, 6–18 months, and 4–6 years of age. Sequential schedule with oral polio vaccine (OPV) (do not use OPV for immunocompromised patients or patients with immunocompromised household contacts): One dose of IPOL at 2 months and at 4 months of age, then 1 dose of OPV at 12–18 months and 1 dose of OPV at 4–6 years of age.
Hypersensitivity to neomycin, streptomycin, or polymyxin B. May defer in acute febrile illness.
Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Immunodeficiency. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Immunosuppressants: may get suboptimal response.
Local irritation, fever, sleepiness, fussiness, decreased appetite.
Syringe 0.5mL (w. needle)—1, 10; Multidose vial (10 doses)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer Disease Examined
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users