IOPIDINE 0.5% Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Apraclonidine (as HCl) 0.5%; oph soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Alcon Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for IOPIDINE 0.5%:
Short-term adjunctive therapy to reduce elevated IOP.
Remove contact lenses; may reinsert 15min after instillation. 1–2 drops into affected eye(s) 3 times daily. Allow at least 5mins between instillation of other oph drugs.
Clonidine allergy. Concomitant MAOIs.
Monitor visual fields. Severe uncontrolled cardiovascular disease, hypertension, coronary insufficiency. Recent myocardial infarction. Cerebrovascular disease. Raynaud's disease. Thromboangiitis obliterans. History of vasovagal attack. Discontinue if ocular allergic-like reactions occur. Renal or hepatic impairment: closely monitor cardiovascular parameters. Depression. May mask hypoglycemia. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers (1% soln: discontinue nursing temporarily for 1 day of use).
See Contraindications. May potentiate CNS depressants (eg, alcohol, barbiturates, opiates, sedatives, anesthetics). Caution with TCAs, β-blockers, antihypertensives, cardiac glycosides, others (eg, clonidine). Concomitant CV drugs: monitor HR, BP periodically.
Hyperemia, pruritus, dry mouth, itching, discomfort, tearing, dizziness, solmnolence, lid edema, blurred vision, foreign body sensation, dry eye, conjunctivitis, discharge, blanching; tachyphylaxis may develop after 1 month; also in post-laser surgery: upper lid elevation, inflammation, nasal decongestion, mydriasis, irregular HR.
Soln 0.5% (5mL, 10mL)—1; 1% (0.1mL)—2
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age