Information on characteristics and duration of particular insomnia types.
For pediatric patients with chronic pain, PTSD symptoms may be linked with higher levels of pain intensity.
Many cervical cancer survivors experience fatigue, insomnia, and hot flashes years later.
Doctors who prescribed a particular insomnia medication in the past were 3 times as likely to continue prescribing the same drug.
Overall, 26 of the 34 studies suggested a positive relationship between insomnia and depression.
After 10 years follow-up, researchers found that women who experienced surgical menopause were more likely to suffer worse insomnia symptoms.
American College of Physician researchers have released 2 recommendations for treatment of chronic insomnia disorder.
Young adults with sleep problems may be at higher risk for developing chronic pain or worsening pain severity.
The association between sleep disturbance and inflammation provides support for the possible etiopathogenic role of chronobiological disturbances.
Researchers suggest that there are more effective or adjunctive interventions to resolve symptoms of RBD.
Children who had high blood lead levels reported insomnia and use of sleeping pills much higher than those with low lead levels.
Reducing stress, having a regular eating schedule and bright light therapy are among the ways to treat the disorder.
Patients with mental illness who received CBT for insomnia saw symptom improvements in both insomnia and their psychiatric condition.
CBT for insomnia can effectively treat insomnia in patients with comorbid major depression taking antidepressants.
Adults in the CBT-I group achieved much bigger reductions in depressive and anxiety symptoms than peers using control website.
A group of psychiatric associations is recommending that behavioral changes and other nonpharmacological interventions be used instead.
Students who have sleep problems and have high stress have an elevated suicide risk.
Young children who had trouble sleeping had a higher risk of developing psychiatric disorders two years later.
People who said they had insomnia or other sleep difficulties had less tolerance to pain than those who slept normally.
Symptoms of depression and insomnia are the strongest indicators of frequent nightmares.
Sleep dysfunction may be a symptom of mental disorders and should be targeted for treatment by clinicians.
Mindfulness practices, which encourage focusing attention on present moment, helped older adults with sleep problems get a better night's sleep.
Cognitive-behavioral therapy for insomnia reduced symptoms of insomnia and suicidal ideation in veterans.
Getting better quality sleep in early adulthood can lead to better cognitive functioning later in life.
Chronic insomniacs who took longer than 14 minutes to fall asleep had a 300% higher risk of hypertension.
Women who use alcohol have a higher suicide risk than those who don't, though there is also a relationship between insomnia and suicide.
The light emitted from the electronic devices appears to suppress melatonin, a hormone that helps to promote sleep.
People who are in the early stages of addiction recovery have rates of insomnia five times higher than the general population.
Difficulty falling asleep was found to be a factor in more than one-third of motor vehicle deaths.
Men who reported a history of sleep disturbances were more than 50% more likely to develop Alzheimer's.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Childhood-Onset Bipolar Disorder Associated With Impaired Family Functioning
- Valproate Use in Women Who Could Become Pregnant: The Argument for Informed Consent
- Sertraline Effective for Treating Depression in Vascular Cognitive Impairment
- Hospitalization Rates in Schizophrenia—Lurasidone vs Quetiapine
- Ketamine-Induced Dissociative Symptoms Predict Antidepressant Response
- Video Games and Exercise as Alternative Therapies for ADHD
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- Comorbid Autism Spectrum Disorder and OCD: Challenges in Diagnosis and Treatment
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- Language Used in Medical Record Can Affect Patient Care
- Family History of Psychiatric Disorders an Important Predictor of Postpartum Psychiatric Illness
- Increased Risk for Type 2 Diabetes in Adolescents, Young Adults With ADHD
- Worse Cognitive Outcomes Associated With CMV Antibodies Following ART for HIV
- Consensus Statement: Managing Bipolar Disorder During and After Pregnancy