INNOPRAN XL Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Propranolol HCl 80mg, 120mg; ext-rel caps.
Indications for INNOPRAN XL:
≥18yrs: Take once daily at bedtime (10PM). Take consistently with regard to food. Initially 80mg/day, may increase to 120mg/day.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Cardiogenic shock. Sinus bradycardia, sick sinus syndrome and >1st -degree AV block unless paced. Asthma.
Cardiac ischemia after abrupt discontinuation.
Risk of cardiac ischemia after abrupt discontinuation. Bronchospastic disease. Heart failure. Cardiogenic shock. Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. Diabetes. May mask signs of hypoglycemia, hyperthyroidism. Surgery. SLE. Musculoskeletal disease. Renal or hepatic impairment. Avoid abrupt cessation. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by substrates or inhibitors of CYP2D6 (eg, amiodarone, cimetidine, fluoxetine, paroxetine, quinidine, ritonavir), CYP1A2 (eg, imipramine, ciprofloxacin, theophylline, zolmitriptan), or CYP2C19 (eg, fluconazole), CNS depressants, other antihypertensives, antithyroid drugs, haloperidol, MAOIs, tricyclic antidepressants, alcohol. Antagonized by NSAIDs, aluminum hydroxide; bile acid resins (eg, cholestyramine, colestipol); smoking, chronic alcohol use, and other inducers of CYP2D6, 1A2, or 2C19. Potentiates amiodarone, chlorpromazine, diazepam, lidocaine, bupivacaine, mepivacaine, propafenone, theophylline, thioridazine, warfarin, rizatriptan, zolmitriptan. May increase cardiac effects of calcium channel blockers, digitalis, disopyramide, lidocaine. Bradycardia with catecholamine-depleting drugs. Increased orthostatic hypotension with α-blockers. Caution when withdrawing clonidine. Increased bronchial hyperreactivity with ACEIs. May interfere with glaucoma or thyroid tests. May block epinephrine.
Fatigue, dizziness, constipation, bradycardia, heart failure/block, GI upset, bronchospasm, agranulocytosis, myopathy, myotonia, skin reactions (eg, rash, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, urticaria); rare: SLE, alopecia, impotence.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation