Generic Name and Formulations:
Elemental iron (as ferric carboxymaltose) 50mg/mL; soln for IV inj; preservative-free.
American Regent, Inc.
Indications for INJECTAFER:
Iron deficiency anemia in adults who have intolerance or insufficient response to oral iron; or have non-dialysis-dependent chronic kidney disease.
Give by slow IV push (undiluted) at rate of approx. 100mg (2mL)/min; or by IV infusion (diluted) administered over at least 15 mins. When giving via IV infusion, dilute to concentration not less than 2mg iron/mL. Give in 2 doses separated by >7 days. <50kg: 15mg/kg/dose. ≥50kg: 750mg/dose. Total cumulative dose per course: max 1500mg. May repeat treatment if condition reoccurs.
Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Monitor for serious hypersensitivity reactions during and after administration for ≥30mins and until clinically stable. Monitor for signs/symptoms of hypertension after each administration. Avoid extravasation. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: monitor infants for GI toxicity.
Lab assays may overestimate serum iron and transferrin bound iron within 24hrs after administration.
Nausea, hypertension, flushing, hypophosphatemia, dizziness; rare: hypersensitivity reactions.
Single-use vial (15mL)—1, 2
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- ADHD Medications Compared for Efficacy, Tolerability in Children and Adults
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation