INDOCIN IV Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Indomethacin 1mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution.
Recordati Rare Diseases, Inc.
Indications for INDOCIN IV:
Closure of hemodynamically significant patent ductus arteriosus in premature infants weighing 500‒1750g when after 48 hours of usual medical management is ineffective.
Give by IV infusion over 20‒30mins at 12‒24hr intervals for a total of 3 doses; monitor urinary output. Age <48hrs: initially 0.2mg/kg, then 0.1mg/kg for doses 2 and 3; 2‒7days old: 0.2mg/kg for all three doses; >7days old: initially 0.2mg/kg, then 0.25mg/kg for doses 2 and 3. If anuria or oliguria (urinary output <0.6mL/kg/hr) is evident at time of 2nd or 3rd dose, suspend therapy until renal function is normal. May give a second course of 1‒3 doses if ductus arteriosus re-opens. If unresponsive after 2 courses, surgery may be needed.
Untreated infection. Active intracranial hemorrhage or GI bleeding. Thrombocytopenia. Coagulations disorders. Necrotizing enterocolitis. Significant renal impairment. Congenital heart disease in which ductus arteriosus patency is necessary for satisfactory pulmonary or systemic blood flow.
Volume depletion. CHF. Sepsis. May mask signs of infection. Hepatic or renal impairment. Monitor serum electrolytes, hepatic, and renal function during therapy. Discontinue if liver dysfunction occurs. Monitor for signs of bleeding. Avoid extravasation.
Caution with other nephrotoxic agents, anticoagulants (monitor). Concomitant ACE inhibitors or angiotensin II antagonists may worsen renal dysfunction. Potentiates aminoglycosides, digoxin (monitor for toxicity). Antagonizes furosemide.
NSAID (indole deriv.).
Renal failure, electrolyte disturbances, GI bleeding, transient oliguria, elevated serum creatinine, decreased platelet aggregation.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders